Lambrusco with Strawberry Cream makes a perfect no bake dessert
I have discovered that Lambrusco can be a very refreshing drop for the summer. Lambrusco is the name of a grape variety as well as the mostly red or pink sparkling (Frizzante), that are produced in Northern Italy. I have to admit that a misspent youth, didn’t regurgitate any endearing memories of this light Italian sparking for me. Back then it was mostly sweet and it meant we guzzled it in way too bigger quantities.
Lambrusco is meant to be drunk young and fresh and with a world looking for less sweet wines it can now be found in drier and sometimes even more Rose styles ( limited skin contact with the must). The sweet versions of the wine are typically in the light bodied frizzante style while the drier wines are more full bodied and darker in colour. You can find Australian Lambrusco but they are cheapish and usually sweet.
This dessert though will be nice with any Lambrusco or even Prosecco if you like. It’s an easy light dessert that can be made ahead and everyone always loves it. Improvise with fruits and different biscuits. it’s a keeper.
- 250 ml Lambrusco wine
- 1 1/2 in sheets gelatin titanium strength soaked cold water till soft
- 12 strawberries big juicy ones to make the jelly
- 4 Tablespoons icing sugar pure (powdered sugar)
- 9 Strawberries extra some are for garnish approx 1/2 per serve
- 2 Tablespoons icing sugar extra
- 50 gm Crushed amaretti biscuits (the hard crunchy kind
- 250 ml thickened cream 1 cup
- 1/2 vanilla bean or extract
You can also use powdered gelatin or sheets from the supermarket. Follow the directions to set 250 ml