This is a classic ginger bread cookie recipe. it makes lovely crunchy basic cookies that you can decorate or just eat straight from the oven
How to Make Ginger Bread Cookies
- 125 gm butter at room temperature
- 100 gm brown sugar 1/2 cup firmly packed
- 125 ml golden syrup 1/2 cup
- 1 Egg separated
- 375 gm plain flour 2 1/2 cups
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- plain flour to dust
- 150 gm pure icing sugar sifted, 1 cup
- food colouring which ever colours you like
- Smarties to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray baking trays and spread with baking paper
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined. Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out until about 4mm thick. Use a gingerbread cutter to cut out shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- To Make icing : Place egg white in a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric beater to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Divide icing among bowls to colour with desired colourings, then cover and refridgerate.
- To pipe the icing, put into individual small plastic bags. Cut a small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe icing over gingerbread men to decorate. Finish with Smartie
- Dont forget to rest the dough, just as you would with pastry.
- The dough will rise and spread slightly so do not place too close together.
- Add more spices if you like a more highly flavoured biscuit.