Hazelnut Meringue Cake with Ice cream is gluten free and completely delicious. Make it ahead of time for a great birthday.
This years favourite cake. Hazelnut Meringue Cake
When my parents were alive, we all celebrated each others birthdays with a day per person. Life has become so much faster and we are all so busy that now we are lucky to meet between months to celebrate the milestones. This month was my sons 17th birthday. He shared this birthday with his cousins one, also 17 and the other 12.
There was some talk regarding the cake element of this birthday meeting. There were three birthdays and this requires three cakes in my opinion. A shared cake is not really very personal is it now? There really is not enough people left in the family to eat three cakes….. but why should the birthday recipient suffer because of that. I did have to remind all that on most other years we had also had a cake per person.
Rainbow cake and Strawberry Sponge with Mascarpone and Chocolate were on the agenda last year
The year before was personal cupcake towers…………..really it was only fair.
Skater has had many kinds of cakes over the years. A beach cake a train station with mountain a skate park a race track several Rainbow cakes ( obviously a hippy child ), and many kinds of ice cream cake. His favourite however, even though he can have anything is always sponge and cream. Note the sponge and cream cup cakes above
Anyway enough digging. These are this years models….
1. The Carrot cake with Cream Cheese and Praline and Pistachios
2. The Chocolate Cake with the birthday boys favourite fruit, Strawberries and some crunchy chocolate pods. The recipe can be found here
3. Flourless Meringue Ice cream cake using Gundowring Ice creams more info here with Raspberry Jelly and Chocolate
- 180 gm egg white 6 approximately
- 210 gm castor sugar
- 150 gm hazelnut meal
- 5 ml lemon Juice
- 500 ml Ice Cream x 2 two flavours, I used Gundowring in Chocolate and Raspberry
- 1 packet jelly crystals