Green Pancakes….. they are really good looking don’t you think?. They are quite surprising. I love the combination of bananas and lemon syrup and I bet you will too
These Green Pancakes Bananas and Honey Lemon Syrup are the best surprise you can have.
So just why are they a surprise? Well it’s about the spinach, the beautiful spinach that make these so green and so very good for you. To be honest they are just as good stuffed with a cheesy chicken mixture. Yes, these amazing pancakes go with savoury or sweet.
I told you they are special. I never thought to include spinach in a pancake till I saw this recipe on Tieghan’s blog, Half Baked Harvest. I went looking for other recipes on the internet after that and discovered a world of pancakes just like these.
They are really best made like crepes thin and delicate, although I have made them as fluffy green numbers too, but you need to adjust the recipe for that. Fold these fine thin ones over, slathered with a spoon of plain or sweetened yoghurt. I love them with sliced bananas but I guess they would be nice with all kinds of berries too or maybe a berry sauce. Now there’s a good idea. What about raspberries or a blueberries either fresh or frozen and just lightly heated with some honey?
As well as eating them for brunch with fruit I also made a big batch of these and filled them with a saucy chicken and vegetable mixture. I covered them with extra cheese sauce and grated cheese and popped them in the oven to bake. Skater can’t resist this kind of thing. That means a double dose of vegetables for the unsuspecting…..
Believe it or not though they really are the best with fruit and a honey lemon syrup. Give them a try and let me know.
Green Pancakes with bananas and honey lemon syrup
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 whole banana nice and ripe and soft
- 200 ml milk any kind (3/4 cup) (200 ml)
- 100 gm English Spinach 2 large handfuls
- 60 gm butter melted cooled to warm
- 130 gm plain flour 1 cup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 250 gm plain or honey yoghurt
Honey Lemon Syrup
- 125 ml honey ½ cup
- 25 ml lemon Juice ½
- 30 gm pistachios chopped ( 1/4 cup)
- 2 whole bananas sliced
- Put the eggs, milk, banana, spinach and butter into the blender and blend until smooth and there are no spinach bits left .
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and blend again till combined and smooth
- Heat a crepe or fry pan till hot. Add a little oil by wiping some oiled kitchen paper over the pan( I use olive oil spray)
- Pour in enough mix so that it just covers the base of the pan when swirled around ( approx 1/4 cup). Cook till the pancake starts to set 1- 2 minutes- then flip over and cook for 1/2 a minute. Don't cook till dry and dark brown- just done will do.Tip onto a plate and set aside. You can keep them warm by placing a tea towel over them. Continue till the mix is finished. It will make approximately 12 x 20 cm (9in)
- To make the honey lemon syrup put the honey and lemon into a pot or into a bowl in the microwave and cook till hot. Let it just come to a boil them pour into a jug or directly onto prepared pancakes when plated.
- Spread each pancake with a bit over a teaspoon of yoghurt, then fold up. Separate onto serving plates or onto a platter.
- Once they are all filled with yoghurt and plated drizzle with honey syriup and sprinkle with chopped Pistachios and banana