This surprising Gluten Free Date Caramel Chocolate Tart is easily made and will compete with any caramel “slice” you put up against it. You can make it the recipe yours by making it gluten free or vegan
I made this Gluten Free Date, Caramel, Chocolate Tart especially for you. Yes you, that really can’t fathom coconut butter and no sugar and no eggs. You want gluten free and you want that caramel that everyone is talking about….you know the one that’s made of dates and cashews?. This is it.
Date caramel is very easy.
You will be able to make this in no time at all and you don’t need anything too fancy to do it except a blender.
The caramel is made from dates and cashews
It is a caramel that doesn’t need any cooking over high heat, no smoke or the possibility of burns, but you really do need a blender. Without a blender you won’t get the very creamy smooth texture of the caramel.
It is quite amazing just how much the filling tastes like caramel. It’s a little bit of magic. I’ve used dairy when making mine but it can be made completely vegan if you prefer. I will include the substitutes for butter, cream and chocolate below.
This is a very simple version of a slice I made a couple of months ago. This is far more basic and uses a gluten free rice cookies as the base for the tart shell. That means it is even quicker and easier, but I promise you will love it.
The guinea pigs that tried this caramel tart sensed it had a slightly different taste but they all loved it…..completely. Give it a try and let me know.
Now that you have made this try this caramel slice too:
Date caramel slice
Date Caramel Chocolate Tart | Gluten free| Vegan
- 200 gram rice cookies or gluten free shortbread biscuits | 7 oz
- 100 gram butter melted | or coconut oil, dairy free butter |3.5 oz
- 250 gram raw cashews soaked overnight or boiled till soft| 8.9 oz
- 400 gram dates de-seeded, fresh or dry if no fresh| 14.1 oz
- 200 ml water 7 oz
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 80 ml maple syrup pure not syrup | 2.8 oz
- 50 gm butter melted | coconut oil or butter or dairy free butter | 1.8 oz
- 100 gram dark chocolate chopped fine | dairy free dark chocolate| 3.5oz
- 100 ml cream or coconut cream | 3.5oz
- Oven 180 C/ 350 F | 20 cm tart tin or very shallow cake tin that measures 8 inches
- Crush the biscuits in a food processor. Add 50 ml of melted butter and process. Add a Tablespoon more of the butter if the crumbs look very dry ( All biscuits vary)
- Press the crumbs onto the bottom of the cake tin/ pie tin and flatten with the back of a spoon
- Pop this into the pre- heated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until just starting to brown. Set aside to cool then put into the refrigerator to set.
- To prepare the cashews, either soak them in cold water (enough to cover) and leave in a container in the fridge overnight. Drain. OR put into a small pot and cover with cold water and simmer till soft (about 10 minutes- they will be easy to squeeze between two fingers). Cool and drain
- Put the dates with 200 gm of water to just cover (3/4 cup) and simmer. Stir and using a fork mash as they gently simmer. You will end up with a date puree.
- Put the dates and the drained cashews into a blender (or Ninja) with the maple syrup, vanilla and melted butter. (coconut or non dairy) Start to blend. It will be very thick so you can add up to 1/4 cup (60 ml or 2 oz) of water and blend again, scraping down the sides. You will soon have a very smooth caramel tasting purée.
- Put the caramel mix into the crumb crust shell and smooth over. Refrigerate while you make the chocolate topping
- Put the cream ( or coconut cream), dairy free butter (50 gm) into a jug and heat till just under boiling. Add the chopped chocolate (vegan non dairy dark chocolate) to the cream and stir till completely melted, thick and smooth.
- Pour all of the chocolate onto the top of the tart and then immediately spread over the top of the tart with a palette knife till nice and smooth. Tap on the bench lightly to knock out indents
- Let it set. It can be chilled for a few minutes in the refrigerator. Decorate with grated chocolate and dates. keep refrigerated.