My neighbour asked for a cake for her 7 years old’s birthday last week. It’s cake season at my house. I have used the stash of flour and butter and sugar here, and bought more again. So, when I was asked if I could make a “frozen” cake I was more than happy to affirm that I can make all manner of flavours of frozen cake . You may have seen a few of my frozen cakes in other posts here. She looked at me and smirked in an -oh that’s right you dont have small children way….”well that’s great Tania, but I meant, can you make a frozen themed cake – as in the movie…. you know Elsa and Anna?”.
Well no, I didn’t know Elsa and Anna but I was about to learn. I didnt know Pepper Pig before I made that cake either. I knew it would happen one day.
Learn is what I definitely did on this cake experiment. Again, as it always is, it seemed to be the hottest day of the year. Sugar and buttercream icing are always tricky in the heat. It is a first attempt and I am quite happy with the results but, there are some glaring problems that I am sure I can master next time I need to make a Frozen Cake.
I had some help with design and a few ideas from Ann Reardon from the awesome www.howtocookthat.net to make my Frozen cake. I watched the video on how she made her Anna cake only once. I think I should have watched it a few more times. This cake is made with my very versatile chocolate cake recipe with a chocolate buttercream and caramel painted between each layer. I will give you the approximate amounts of icing I used so that you can experiment too after watching Ann’s video.
- 350 gm caster sugar
- 550 gm plain flour
- 75 gm dutch cocoa 3/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon bi carbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 200 ml buttermilk 3/4 cup
- 200 ml milk 3/4 cup
- 200 ml strong coffee 3/4 cup
- 125 gm melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 whole eggs
- 250 gm butter
- 500 gm cream cheese
- 240 gm icing sugar 2 cups
- 50 gm dutch cocoa 1/2 cup or more up to 1if you want a darker buttercream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 kg sugar icing/ fondant roll out
- 1 kg roll of cake molding paste icing sets firm
- extra icing sugar for rolling out the sugar icing
- 250 gm or 1 x small packet of black roll out icing for the bodice
- 250 gm sugar 1 cup sugar
- 50 gm butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon
- 20 ml water 1 tablespoon
- 150 ml cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt