These falafel flavoured chickpea patties taste just like falafels. No deep frying. No soaking. Eat them in a burger. Eat them with salad. Whatever you do grab a can of chickpeas and make them.
I love falafels. There is nothing like the crispy deep fried shell that surrounds the fluffy chickpea interior but I don’t often have dried chickpeas on hand and I always seem to be out of oil for frying. I do always have a can or two of chickpeas in the cupboard though, and this is a classic chickpea recipe. If you want to make classic falafels and fry them up try Nagi’s recipe
How to make the great flavour of falafels
These have the great flavours of falafels, cumin, coriander and are totally delicious with lemon tahini dressing. However they are extra good slathered with Chickpea water Mayonnaise plus you’ll feel great using up that chickpea water rather than throwing it out. They would also be amazing with Best Ever Pickled Carrots too.
Falafel patties are great on a burger bun, but they are also good just as they are served with salad or rolled in flatbread. This recpe makes 12 and if you have any left over they are even great cold in a lunch box. Don’t forget to send lots of dressing of course!
Here’s a few tips on making Falafel patties.
- No soaking with these beauties just add cooked chickpeas. 1 and a bit cans of drained chickpeas( hold some back), spices, eggs and herbs.
- Start with onions and garlic
- Add herbs, spices and process.
- Break down all of the herbs and add the eggs
1 and 2. Add the remaining chickpeas and panko crumbs and combine
3. I do this so there is some chickpea texture left.
4. Start shaping the patties with a 1/3 cup measure
The next steps.
- Once the patties are measured out onto a tray flatten and shape
- Sprinkle the patties with lots of sesame seeds
- A sprinkling of smoked paprika is also nice. Roll the patties in the seeds
- Fry the patties in a couple of centimetres of oil
These are extra delicious with Chickpea water mayonnaise . I love to use the water as well it makes you so much less wasteful. Find the recipe here.
Falafel Chickpea Patties, Easy recipe for a quick mix.
- 800 gm chickpeas 2 cans drained (SAVE THE WATER)
- 3 Tablespoons cumin ground
- 2 Tablespoon coriander ground
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 150 gm onion chopped . 1 small
- 1 bunch parsley flat leaf/ at least 1 1/2 cups including the stalks
- 1 bunch mint leaves only
- 2 bunches coriander washed roots and stems and leaves
- 2 whole Egg or egg replacer
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 150 gm Panko Bread Crumbs 3 cups
- 300 ml oil
- 30 gm sesame seeds
- Put 3/4 of the chickpeas, chopped onions, garlic, lemon, spices all of the green herbs roughly chopped into the processor and blitz till broken down. You may have some larger bits left. It is important to keep scraping down the sides
- Add to the eggs and give the mix a little blitz before adding the remaining chickpeas and process again till combined. The chickpea pieces should still be visible.
- Pour into a bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs to make a firmish mix
- Scoop out the mix into even patties. I do this by using a 1/3 cup measure. The mixture will make 12 patties. Shape them into nice flat patties
- Sprinkle the patties with sesame seeds and press into them. If you like you can sprinkle them with some smoked paprika too. Chill for a10 minutes or overnight if you like
- Fry in 3 cm of vegetable oil till golden. Drain on paper
- Serve with flatbread and hummus or tahini sauce or on a toasted burger bun with avocado, tomato, and lettuce.