On the weekend I had a few people over for breakfast. It was a lazy Sunday morning and they offered to bring cereal so that no one had to cook. But I want to cook!!
I didn’t want them to think I had gone to any trouble, and really truly I didn’t. And you won’t either if you make this for brunch or breakfast for a crowd. You can make most of it ahead and let it sit till you have finished saying hello, having a coffee or glass of bubbly and then bingo, there it is.
It’s a fresh mixture of beans, tomatoes, avocados and a touch of Fountain hot chilli sauce with a sprinkling of nice salty feta. All of these ingredients were in my pantry and fridge. You can substitute if you don’t have some of them. I personally love black beans. Their texture is perfect for this but you could use kidney beans. If you want to leave out the bacon you can add and add chorizo instead or it could easily be made vegetarian.
Instead of sour cream I made cashew cream, this is my new love. It’s a good way to have a sour cream like cream that is full of protein. You can use this cashew cream for anything you use regular sour cream for. It’s nutty and creamy and very very good.
Serve this in a big pot in the middle and everyone can serve themselves. I love to hand around Warm tortilla bread or gorgeous natural corn chips.
- 100 gm red onion sliced finely
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 250 gm rindless bacon cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 400 gm black beans can of drained washed
- 6 whole eggs
- 1 bunch coriander washed well
- 60 ml lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons Fountain Good Choice Hot Chilli Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon extra olive oil
- 2 whole avocados cubed
- 250 gm Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons coriander chopped
- 100 gm Danish feta crumbled
- 250 gm raw cashews 8oz
- water to cover
- 60 ml lemon Juice more for a more sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cummin
- 5 gm salt and pepper to taste
Just in case you are wondering what the black beans I used look like. Here they are.