These Easy Churros & Chocolate sauce are a favourite of so many people for good reason. Eaten warm and dipped in sauce they are like hot pencil shaped doughnuts, and they are amazing. You can make them at home very easily
Yes Churros are pretty much long skinny doughnuts. the best thing is the batter is a little more basic.
I have an incredible soft spot for doughnuts. I just can’t resist them. Years ago when I was an apprentice each morning we’d make cakes and scones and tarts and pies before all the customers piled in for morning tea. Right at the last moment we would start doughnut production dunking hundreds of them and rolling in cinnamon sugar. Those doughnuts were a yeasted batter but these churros are much more simple and that makes them very quick to make.
Churros are Doughnuts in a hurry
The best thing about Churros is they are long and when you dip them you get a lot of sauce!
It may also be a good one to make for the kids these holidays for a bit of a treat. It probably isn’t one for them to actually cook because of the hot oil, but they can crack eggs and stir . Later they can roll the Churros in cinnamon flecked sugar. They make the best crowd or party dessert at a stand up function. Try them!
Easy Churros & Chocolate Sauce
- 250 ml water 1 cup
- 100 gm butter unsalted,
- 1 pinch salt
- 160 gm plain flour 1 1/4 cups
- 3 eggs 2 if very large
- 750 ml vegetable oil 3 cups
- 100 gm dark chocolate good quality up to 70% chopped
- 200 ml cream 3/4 cup
Sugar for sprinkling
- 200 gm caster sugar 1 cup
- 20 gm cinnamon 1 Tablespoon
- 1/2 tsp Chilli or even salt for sprinkling on top optional
- Start by making the chocolate sauce. Warm the cream, take off the heat and stir in the chocolate till melted. Keep warm. It will thicken up more once cooled. ( if you like a thinner sauce add a little more warmed cream and mix through.)
- Put the butter water and salt into a small pot and heat until the butter is just melted. Stir in the flour and mix well to combine. Stir over a low heat for 1 minute. Cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. The batter will be quite stiff . .
- Spoon the batter into a piping bag with a star tube
- Prepare a flat plate with the 200 gm sugar and cinnamon mixed together. This will be to roll the Churros in when they are cooked.
- Choose a low sided pot or deep fry pan. Put this on a medium heat. Test the temperature by dropping a small amount of dough into it and check if it bubbles.
- When the oil is ready begin to pipe long fingers of dough into the pan only a couple at a time. Cut the length of churros fingers you'd like as they come out of from the piping bag. A pair of scissors or a small knife will make it easier to break them off into fingers.
- Fry them , turning till they are golden then remove them with tongs onto draining paper. Once drained roll them in the cinnamon sugar and put onto a plate
- Serve with chocolate sauce
Don’t forget to send me a picture of your recipes inspired by My Kitchen Stories