A couple of weeks ago I asked my friend and Father of 3 1/2 what he would like someone to make him for Fathers Day. The answer was French Toast. So I set about making him a special batch of Crunchy French Toast with Cornflakes and Caramel. He can’t resist this caramel so I know I am already onto a winner
I have already made an irresistible Apple and Caramel self saucing pudding for Fathers Day so you could check that out too here. It’s also a caramel based one. Just by coincidence.
Look, I know it isn’t my place to be making him Fathers Day treats because he isn’t my partner nor is he the Father of my child. He is however a lovely gentle man who makes me laugh a lot. He is one of those people for whom nothing is ever a problem. I think that just about covers my need to wish him a Happy Fathers Day. Do you know someone that just loves French Toast? I have made a few types of french toast here on My Kitchen Stories. These French Toast rolls with Chocolate and these lovely savoury ones with ham and cheese. You could also try these French Toast Bagels with chia Jam or amazing Pancake French Toast Fingers! And now Crunchy French Toast with Cornflakes and Caramel.
Last week I had a French student staying with me. We spent quite a long time practising the art of speaking English while I was cooking. Naturally food featured a bit in our conversations and when he asked what I was cooking I found myself telling him that I was making french Toast. That’s when I realised that what a silly name it was because he thought it was very funny.
“French Toast”. “French Toast” he kept repeating with a rye smile.
You know what it is though and this version is the bomb. I like my French toast a bit custardy and soft. I cut the soft bread nice and thick and let it soak in the custard mix for a bit. You don’t want it to be squishy and fall apart – it’s a fine line. Check out the video.
Crunchy French Toast with Cornflakes and Caramel
- 1 whole Bread, loaf unsliced bread crusts removed and cut into 12 slices
- 4 whole eggs
- 125 ml milk 1/2 cup
- 125 ml cream 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons fine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups cornflakes
- 50 gram Panko crumbs
- 180 gram brown sugar
- 250 ml cream
- 50 gram butter
- Prepare the caramel sauce first. Put the brown sugar, cream and butter into a small saucepan and melt together stirring. Bring up to a simmer and let it bubble for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Pour into a jug or bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the bread and set aside
- Next mix the eggs, cream, milk, vanilla, 2 tablespoons of sugar in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Pop the cornflakes, Panko crumbs and cinnamon into a plastic zip lock bag (or similar) and squash with a rolling pin or your hands till there are large and small pieces of crumbs. Put onto a flat plate.
- Now finally prepare the frypan. I like to soften the butter and have the oil handy. Adding a touch of oil to melted butter will stop it from browning too quickly.
- Set up the egg custard, crumbs and bread and heat the frypan on medium until it is hot. Add a knob of butter and a teaspoon of oil and move it about the frypan. Start to dip the bread into the custard mix. turn it over a couple of times before dipping it into the cornflakes crumbs on both sides and adding to the frypan. Add two slices at a time into your frypan. Turn over when one side is golden. Flip and cook the other side till golden.
- This French toast is best eaten when straight from the pan.
- Serve the French toast with caramel sauce, Berries and Yoghurt.
- Also great with Bananas