These chocolate cupcakes are also known as dirty worm cupcakes and they are great for kids to make.
Halloween is heaps of fun but this year it’ll be a bit quieter. That doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate with family or a few friends.
This recipe has the kids in mind. It’s such an easy stir together recipe it will keep them occupied for a little while. These chocolate cupcakes are made to eat almost straight from the oven. All you need to do is stop long enough to decorate….. then eat them up!
Easy stir together recipe
No matter what you are planning these cupcakes are meant to be made and consumed quickly. They are so easy anyone could make them. All the ingredients are stirred together and they can be whipped up in 30 minutes. Love that!
Stir together recipes are very easy for kids to manage with little equipment and you don’t need a mixer. I’ve included both weight and cup measurements
This recipe is a basic fun way to eat worms! I bet these would also be great for kids birthdays too. Why not try them as a Halloween Party activity. Bake these up and put a cake in front of each kid so they can decorate with dirt and worms!
All you will need is a big bowl, some good quality cocoa and some snakes. The dirt can be made by crumbling one of the cupcakes into crumbs, or you could use Oreo cookies with the cream centre removed. Just put them in a zip lock bag and bash them ( also something big and small kids alike will love)
Making Chocolate frosting is very easy too
To make the simplest frosting possible all you need to do is mix softened icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl with a spoon of melted butter and add a dash of hot water. That’s it.
Why not try these recipes too.
Chocolate cupcakes with worms
- 125 gm flour, plain 1 cup( Aust)
- 60 gm cocoa (dark dutch) 1/2 cup (Aust)
- 200 gm cater sugar 1 cup (Aust)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 125 ml oil 1/2 cup of any flavourless oil
- 125 ml milk 1/2 cup can be non dairy milk
- 60 ml water, boiling
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate frosting/ icing
- 120 gm icing sugar 1 cup
- 20 gm cocoa dutch dark cocoa | 2 tablespoons
- 40 gm butter 2 tablespoons
- 5 ml water (hot) 1 teaspoon
Snake decorations and dirt
- 1 pkt jelly snakes with at least 12 in the packet
- 6 oreo cookies or 1 crumbled chocolate cupcake
- Set the oven to 170C
- Using a medium sized bowl mix the dry ingredients. Start with the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Sift the cocoa to get rid of any lumps. Lastly mix in the sugar.
- Measure out the oil and the milk and pour into a bowl with the vanilla. Whisk the two eggs into the liquid.
- Mix the liquid and dry mixes together till smooth and shiny.
- Spoon the cake mix into cupcake wrappers. Depending on the size of the wrappers you will need 9 to 12. Put them onto a tray and fill 3/4 full leaving just a small rim.
- Bake the cakes for 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a toothpick
- Set them aside to cool while the icing is made
- Put the icing sugar and cocoa into a small bowl and sift if there are any lumps.
- Add the melted butter and the hot water. Whisk together very well.
- The icing should be spreadable. If it is very firm add a drop more water. Never add more than that at a time. Cover the icing if you are not icing immediately
Dirt and Snakes
- If you prefer to make the dirt from cake crumbs then crumble up one of the cupcakes. If you have some oreo cookies, cut them in half and scrape out the cream centre. You won't need this. Put the cookies into a zip lock bag and bash till crumbled.
- Spread each cupcake with a tablespoon of chocolate icing/ frosting
- Sprinkle with dirt crumbs and curl a snake on top.
- Best eaten straight away.