You know the last thing on earth I want to do is discourage you from eating sugar at Easter, or even any time. That would just be hypocritical of me in the extreme.
BUT I wanted to put this little bit of cake in front of you. It is the most delicious banana chocolate loaf cake I have just about ever made. That is a big call because you know I have made a lot of cakes.
This one is just too good not to share. I had to come up with this recipe a couple of weeks ago when I was staying at my friends place in Kangaroo Island off the coast of South Australia. Its a little remote and as it turns out she has a few browning bananas in her fruit bowl.
Never will I see a piece of fruit NOT turned into a cake. Never. Trouble is there was little to make the rest of the cake with beside bananas. No eggs, No butter , No milk and No SUGAR but I wasn’t to be deterred. I made this cake.
Well the cake pictured is the one I made when I got back home… but I had stumbled upon a beauty there is no doubt. It works like a charm. It’s consequently Vegan and please note that Vegan does not men gluten free. I haven’t had time to test that theory yet.
You’ve gotta be thinking right now, well what did she make it with ?
Yes I thought so. It is surprising just how good it is. Here’s the recipe with a video and that’s followed by a couple of Kangaroo Island Postcards.
Chocolate Banana Cake Extra Moist, Vegan
- 2 whole bananas approximately 200 gm (firmish)
- 200 gm dates 1 cup dried pitted
- 250 ml water
- 125 ml oil plain
- 125 ml non dairy milk or coconut- 1/2 cup
- 150 gm flour plain
- 50 gm cocoa dark sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 gm chocolate dairy free or dark
- 100 ml coconut cream
- Set the oven to 180 C / 350 F
- Grease and line a loaf tin ( 24 x 10cm or 9.5 x4 in)
- Put the dates into a small pot and add the water. Simmer till the water is gone and you can mash he dates with a fork. cool
- Put the dates and bananas into a bowl and mash together till reasonably smooth
- Add the oil and the milk and stir till combined.
- Add the sifted cocoa, flour and bi carbonate of soda and mix till just combined.
- Tip into the loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Warm the coconut cream without boiling. Break up the chocolate and stir into the cream mixture till dissolved.
- Let it stand till room temperature then decorate with fruit or whatever you like. Notice I have used some Easter eggs.
You can also make this cake without the cocoa. It will be a deliciously moist banana loaf, just replace the cocoa with flour. So use a total of 200 gm plain flour.
*********I found if the bananas are too watery the cake is just too moist, so be sure to use bananas that are straight from the freezer or so black they are watery.
Tray these Easter treats too. Chocolate Shortbread, Chocolate Raspberry Cake Vegan and Easter friendly.