Choc Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are so much fun to eat and to make. This easy recipe will have you eating creamy ice cream before you know it.
I made these Choc Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches this week.
I needed a dessert that could be whipped out on a hot afternoon and not be too showy for a birthday where the recipient (me) didn’t want to have candles and a cake. Ice Cream Sandwiches meet the criteria on a hot summers day and these were so super easy.
I really had no idea what dessert to make and it was 9.30 at night so there is no video of this one. It seems Ice Cream Sandwiches are all pretty popular at the moment because I noticed a lot of recipes popping up in the next few days. Luckily I figured out my own recipe and they really did work out incredibly well.
The Choc Chip Cookie recipe is from All Recipes and they are not only easy stir together ones (no beating just a spoon and a bowl), but they are the perfect softness for an Ice Cream Sandwich. You need a cookie that can be bitten into easily when frozen and this recipe is IT.
These cookies can be made into nice thick soft cookies but I wanted them to be thin and crumbly so spread them out into thin flat circles using the shape of a cutter to guide me. After they were baked and cooled I cut them into perfectly round circles with the same cutter. This isn’t entirely necessary but I just wanted to make mine look neat. Have a look at my pictures and you will see what I mean.
Now making the ice cream could not be easier either. It doesn’t require an ice cream machine. I used a round loaf tube (as pictured)but you could make your ice cream in muffin tins and they would be just as good. Beat some thick cream with a can of condensed milk, add vanilla and you have ice cream.
Now you can make your own.
- 125 gm butter melted
- 180 gm brown sugar 1 cup
- 50 gm caster sugar 1/4 cup
- 1 whole Egg large
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 270 gm plain flour 1 3/4 cups
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150 gm chocolate dark or milk, chopped
- Ice Cream
- 600 ml cream thickened or whipping cream
- 395 ml condensed milk 1 can -chill this while you make the cookies
- 8 teaspoons nutella
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- This recipe makes about 8 ice cream sandwiches. You will need several trays for baking the biscuits and paper or foil to wrap the sandwiches to put into the freezer. Pre-heat the oven to 160 C or 320 F . The tray or mould (even loaf tin) you use to make the ice cream should be lined with cling film so that the ice cream can be easily removed Melt butter and then stir in the two sugars. Cool slightly before adding the egg and vanilla. Stir well
- Sift flour and baking powder together into a small bowl and then add to the sugar mix along with the chocolate bits and stir well or till thoroughly combined
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the mixture onto lined baking trays. I rounded mine using a cutter as a guide and spread them quite thinly and evenly. They will cook into a nice flat disc if you flatten them a little with your fingers on the tray.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool on trays for a few minutes before trying to move them. once cooled to warm transfer to a wire rack .
To make the ice cream
- Pour the chilled condensed milk, vanilla and cream into a bowl and whip till soft peaks form. Just nice and soft and airy, if you lift the beaters there should be soft peaks. It's best to use a stand or hand mixer for this. Pour your ice cream into your moulds and leave to set for 4-6 hours but preferably over night.
- Get the grease proof paper or foil ready by cutting in to a nice square big enough to wrap the sandwich in
- Choose cookies that fit together well as a pair or use a cutter to round off the edges.
- Pop the ice cream out of the muffin tray or cut your loaf into thick slices.
- Spread the bottom half of the cookie with nutella put the ice cream on top and then top with another biscuit. Wrap and freeze straight away. Continue till finished.
- Depending on the shape of your ice cream and the size of your cookie you should get 8- 10 at the very least perhaps more.
The biscuit mixture will make about 30 average sized cookies
Q: What kind of a Witch goes to the beach?
A: A sandwich…..
This is a whole batch…with one missing. Ahem..
Try these no churn desserts as well.