Chicken Soup Easy Prawn Wontons and Masterstock is as comforting as a warm hug. Make this recipe at the beginning of the week and it will make you happy for days.
I have found a soup that Skater likes.
Yes it’s a wonton soup with vegetables . ( Maybe he doesn’t know it’s soup).
He left the Shiitake Mushrooms and the shallots but there was a generally good reception. Would you like to give this one a go?
I made the long version of this by making a Masterstock and cooking a whole chicken in it but you could flavour a pre- made stock and buy a cooked chicken . This is to cut the preparation time….and that’s up to you.
You should know however that the whole chicken cooked in Masterstock is very delicious and you will have some left over for snacks/lunches/dinner tomorrow.
Really there is no better soup than this. I could live on it.
Chicken Soup Easy Prawn Wontons
Masterstock Base ( optional)
- 2.5 litres water
- 250 ml Shoaxshing wine
- 125 ml light soy
- 75 ml dark soy
- 100 gm yellow rock sugar or 50gm caster sugar
- 2 pieces citrus peel dried found in Asian stores, or Zest of 1/4 orange
- 2 pieces cassia bark
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 piece ginger 3 cm
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 whole coriander roots cleaned well
- 1 piece ginger 20 cent size of
- 1.3 kg Chicken washed dried
- 100 gm wonton wrappers
- 250 gm prawn meat green / uncooked -can be thawed frozen
- 1 teaspoon curry paste red or green
- 10 ml fish sauce 2 teaspoons
- 1 whole lime zest of 1
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1/4 cup ginger julienned
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 whole coriander root cleaned
- 1/2 Egg break into a bowl beat and use 1/2
Ingredients for the soup
- 150 gm red pepper Sliced plus beansprouts or bok choy
- 2 cups chicken meat sliced
- 50 gm green onion sliced
- 1 bunch coriander picked
- 200 gm shitake mushrooms punnet/ sliced
- 100 gm snow peas sliced
Seasoning ( to finish the soup)
- 2 tablespoons light soy or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame oil or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 whole chilli sliced
- 3 Tablespoons green onion sliced
- To make Masterstock and cook the chicken. Put the first 10 ingredients ingredients into a large pot and simmer for 30 minutes. (water, wine, soy sauces, sugar, peel, bark, ginger, garlic and roots).
- Lower the chicken into the liquid and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Turn off cover and sit for 10 minutes before testing to see if the chicken is cooked. Remove from the stock and cool before slicing the breasts for the soup.
- Put all of the ingredients for the prawn filling into the food processor. ( Meat, curry, fish sauce, zest, sugar, garlic, ginger, coriander) Leaving the wonton pastry and the extra 1/2 egg ( eggwash) aside. Chill.
- To make the Wontons . Put a 1/2 tsp prawn mixture onto a wrapper, and fold in half width-ways. Fold again, then dab the corners with eggwash and fold into a nurses hat. ( similar to a tortellini). Put onto a tray and cover. Makes approx 36
- Strain the Masterstock liquid. You will need about 1.5 litres approx ( 4-6 people).
- Put this in a pot with 4 cups of extra stock or water. Bring to a simmer
- Use the seasoning ingredients to make it taste how you would like it. Using a pinch of salt to start then 2 tablespoons of light soy . Taste. When you are happy with the taste add the Prawn wontons and shiitakes.
- Simmer till the wontons start to change colour and begin to float to the top. Once the soup starts to simmer lightly this should happen quickly. It doesn't take long for Prawns to cook. (approx 5 min). Add the other ingredients the snowpeas, beanshoots, shallots ( bok Choy) and sliced chicken and finish with some sesame oil and chilli. Serve
- The short version of the soup and wontons for the time poor!
Is there someone at your house that leaves all the good bits behind?