Cauliflower Cheddar Soup. One Pot easy
I love Cauliflower, it’s a reminder that there are lots of delicious things to eat in the winter. Fortunately, I got to cook this soup for someone else, as Skater will only tolerate cauliflower splashed with cheese sauce and baked till golden. This is a more healthy version of cauliflower cheese, made with 1 pot only……love <3.
Another delicious idea is to add another 500 gm of potato to this and make a tasty mash to go with chicken or fish…..use the same garnish for an irresistible savoury crumble to add crunch.
Cauliflower Cheddar Soup #cold #weather #perfect
- 150 gm onion diced
- 1 whole leek cleaned and sliced
- 1 kg Cauliflower Flowerettes
- 500 gm potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 piece preserved lemon 1/4
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 litres chicken stock (if store bought use low salt)
- 250 gm cheddar grated 50 gm reserved for garnish
- 30 gm butter
- 60 ml cream or more it's up to you
- 5 gm Salt and pepper
- 20 ml olive oil
- 50 gm hazelnuts roasted
- 1 cup croutons- toasted- see at the end
- 1/4 bunch Parsley chopped
- Good olive oil or hazelnut oil or truffle oil
- Heat the stove to medium low. Use a large pot big enough to hold all the ingredients and add a tablespoon of olive oil and the butter then the onion, leek and garlic sweat until soft but not browned.
- Add the potato and cauliflower and enough stock to reach the top of the vegetables ( why- because otherwise the soup will be too runny, remember you can add but you cant take it out again)
- Simmer until the vegetables are soft ( approx 20-25minutes). Add the cream and cheese, then puree . This is best done with a stick blender, in the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve use a raft of grated cheese first, then add some chopped hazelnuts, croutons and parsley ( why not use bacon crisped up and chopped). Finish with a drizzle of oil and pepper
- Crispy bread crumble......... take a piece of bread a nice dry sour dough or white and pull apart into little crumble like pieces. Put them in a bowl and toss with salt and pepper and oil. Toss and coat the crumbs then put onto a lined oven tray and bake till golden. They can be grilled but oven is best.......add cumin or smoked paprika or any thing you like when using these for other things too.