Bake these chocolatey dense brownies using what ever you have in the fridge. Simple stir together Brownies using leftovers
As a sole parent I am of course no stranger to scrimping and saving. I am able to produce a meal from very little and I worship a left over.
This week I had a lot of left overs in my fridge from the last few weeks of cake making and visitors staying. Inspired by Jamie Oliver I concocted these brownies that use up left overs and save on waste. This isn’t my usual recipe for brownies but it is really moist and quite delicious and one that you can just stir together and bake. The funny thing about making these brownies to use leftovers was that I ended up making 5 trays of them. The original recipe used mascapone but I figured if you could substitute whatever you have in the fridge this might be a recipe you make over and over. So I made them over and over. The first with marscapone the next with yoghurt them cream cheese then sour cream. I made one with hazelnut flour instead of flour so they can be made gluten free as well. They all turned out the same, took the same amount of time to cook and got eaten quickly every time ….
Wanna make them?
It’s the perfect recipe for brownies using leftovers Here’s how……
The Perfect Recipe for Brownies
Oven temperature 170/350F brownie tray approx 10"(25cm)x 7" (18cm) or something close. lined with baking paper
- 200 gm butter unsalted,
- 200 gm caster sugar 1 cup
- 100 gm chocolate up to 70% very finely chopped
- 75 gm flour or 100 gm nut meal or gluten free flour
- 125 gm cream cheese or mascapone or plain yoghurt or cream cheese, 4.4 oz
- 40 gm cocoa 1.4 oz
- 3 whole eggs large
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 50 ml cream or thickened cream
- 100 gm chocolate very finely grated dark
- Melt the butter in a large bowl that fits into your microwave (or melt over a double boiler). Once the butter is melted add the chocolate . The heat should be enough to melt the finely diced chocolate. Stir well then add the sugar (if this is not well melted and looking like a grainy liquid then give it another couple of seconds of heat).
- Add the cream cheese ( marscapone, yoghurt or sour cream, which ever you are using) and stir well to incorporate, with a whisk. Add the eggs into the chocolate mixture and stir well. Next add the dry ingredients and mix till you have a smooth batter.
- Pour into the lined tin and bake for 30-35 minutes. Touch the top with the tips of your fingers. It will be set and slightly puffy.
- Put the cream into a heat proof jug and microwave for a minute till hot. If using the stove top bring it just to near boiling point and take off the heat. Pour the chopped chocolate into the jug or pot and stir till smooth. If the cream is too hot the chocolate will have a white streaky appearance
- Cool down the brownie before icing. Spread the icing over the brownie when just made and smooth out
I love a left over. I even used left over chocolate from work….
Show me if you make these … and what left overs you used and leave a picture on my facebook page here…please?