This Brownie Ice cream Layer Cake is a bit of a birthday treat, well for the people that came to the birthday dinner anyway. Over the years we have had all kinds of cake for Skater’s birthday. The sad thing is that he’s not really excited by cake.
As we have gone along the years , the more he becomes disinterested in eating cake the more I love it. Ahem, I can’t eat it all myself, but sometimes I try.
This cake is inspired by a blog I have been pouring over. Life Love and Sugar . Lindsay loves sugar and I feel certain we would be friends if I lived in the US. Her blog is full of incrediblly perfect looking cakes. There is no sugar free or low fat anything on there and that’s part of the reason I love it. It takes me back to the great days of baking when no one really cared about free of anything.
I have used her cream cheese ice cream recipe and you will be amazed at how this tastes. It’s a bit of a revelation. I make a lot of ice cream and I don’t have an ice cream machine, but I have never made it with these ingredients. It’s very rich but it is light and creamy.
Brownie Icecream Layer Cake
- 175 gm butter
- 175 gm dark chocolate 70%
- 3 whole eggs
- 250 gm sugar caster 1 1/4 cups
- 50 gm dark cocoa powder 1/2 cup/ sifted
- 100 gm almond meal 1 cup
Ice cream Filling
- 500 gm cream cheese softened
- 90 gm icing sugar 1/4 cup
- 50 ml milk 1/4 cup
- 500 ml thickened cream or whipping cream
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 500 gm strawberries 2 punnets
- 200 gm blueberries punnet
- 200 gm dark chocolate with Strawberry pieces
- 2 Tablespooons raspberry powder
- 250 ml cream whipped
- 200 gm praline crushed
- Line a 10 inch or 24-25 cm removable bottomed cake tin. It helps if you have two so making the layers is quicker. If you only have one tin you can weigh the mixture and use half.
- Set the oven to 170 C or 375 F.
- The Brownie layers: This recipe will make two layers. If you want a four layer cake as pictured you will need to make this recipe twice. It is better to make it twice rather than double it.
- Put the butter and chocolate into a micro wave or over a double boiler and melt . Cool slightly .
- Beat the eggs and sugar till nice and thick and creamy.
- Add the lightly cooled chocolate butter mix and then add the cocoa and almond meal and mix this in till well combined. This will make two layers. If you only have 1 tin weigh the mix and use half.
- Again, for 4 layers make the mixture twice. This will yield 4 perfect layers
- Bake each layer for 20 minutes or until firm to touch ( it will be a bit spongy but firm).
- Once cool stack the brownie slices between parchment paper and refrigerate. (These can be made ahead)
Ice Cream recipe will make enough for the 4 layer cake.
- Beat the cream till firm standing peaks. Set aside in the fridge till needed.
- Beat the softened cream cheese till fluffy then add the icing sugar vanilla and milk and beat well. The mixture should be light and fluffy. Fold the whipped cream through the cream cheese mixture. Taste for vanilla and sugar. It should be almost like a fluffy icecream now it is mixed together. Divide into three even portions.
- Line the same springform cake tin that was used to bake the brownie layers with fresh parchment. Put the first brownie layer into the bottom of the tin, and sprinkle with praline (optional) then add the first layer of cream cheese icecream smooth over the base leaving some room at the side for the icecream to push out when the next layer is added. Continue in this way. You can add sliced strawberries or even raspberries between the layers if you like.
- Freeze overnight or for up to 3-4 hours. I made mine 3-4 days ahead
- Decorate with whipped cream berries and chocolate.
- Take out of the freeszer and put into the fridge for up to 3 hours before you need to serve