This Blackbean Soup is one of my personal favourites. It may be the colour I can’t resist because I love black (or purple). But I think its that I love the thick garlicky blackbean soup with bacon and avocado because it is so easy to make.
Cuban Blackbean Soup shortcut
I am a bit biased because I love soup. But this one has all the flavour and all of the goodness you need to get you through lunch or even dinner.
Black bean soup does not traditionally have tomato in it. A slow-cooked black bean soup made with dried beans is extra delicious but takes many hours of cooking. So you can experience this lovely soup I’ve put it on fast forward adding lots of extra quick flavour by adding tomato
This soup is an old favorite I used to make when I lived in Miami, Florida many years ago. It’s based on a delicious Cuban Blackbean soup I used to make there. I learnt it from a Cuban chef. I changed it up a bit so that it is easy to cook in a short time. The original recipe is made with dried black beans that I soak overnight and then cook with a smoked ham hock and about 20 cloves of garlic for a couple of hours. This quick version of my soup is just as delicious but it’s shorter and it has so much flavour!
I’ve included lots of alternatives so that you can make a great black bean soup with whatever you have on hand.
There are no process photos for this soup because it is too easy!
If you love soup like me try these recipes too!
Sweet Potato and lentil soup
Blackbean Soup with Avocado and bacon
- 300 gm onion diced (2 medium)
- 250 gm carrot grated (2 medium)
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander ground
- 1 tablespoon oregano dried
- 500 ml chicken stock 16.9 fl oz
- 500 ml tomato passata 16.9 fl oz
- 1 /2 teaspoon celery salt
- 100 ml olive oil 5 tablespoons/ 3.5 oz
- 2 tins black beans 400 gm / 2 x 14 oz
- 100 gm bacon chopped into small pieces / 3.5 oz
- 1 whole avocado Sliced into 8ths
- 100 gm tomato chopped 3.5 oz
- 1/2 bunch corriander chopped
- 100 gm bacon chopped 3.5 oz or crisped pancetta *optional
- Heat a large pot add the oil, onion, bacon, carrot and garlic and cook without colouring
- Add the spices, celery salt and oregano. Cook till fragrant.
- Add the black beans liquid and all. Add the tomato passata and chicken stock
- Simmer for 15 minutes or till reduced by 1/4. If you want to garnish your soup with bacon or pancetta prepare it now and set aside
- Puree the soup till smooth. This is best done with a stick blender however you can put it into a blender or food processor
- Serve the soup with a slice of avocado, extra bacon and chopped tomato or just a swirl of sour cream
- If you can’t get tomato passata add tomato juice or peeled tomatoes.
- Add 2 bay leaves if you have some. This gives a lovely depth of flavour
- You can serve this soup with a swirl of sour cream or aioli
- Garnish the soup with extra fried bacon pieces or a nice slice of grilled pancetta or smoked spek
- If celery is available use 3 sticks finely diced and add with the onion and carrot instead of using celery salt
- Finish with a swirl it with sour cream or aioli
- **Do you want to make this soup Vegan or vegetarian?.