Bagel French Toast
Supported by PHILADELPHIA Australia
There is no getting past the fact that this is possibly my favourite brunch in the world. ….at the moment anyway.
Oh ….wait, I am actually lying because Skater turned down everything except the PHILLY cheese on the creamy vanilla scented soft as a pillow French toast bagel . What???. You say. If you read these pages enough you will know that it is quite a struggle to get him interested in food. Luckily I have neighbours. Bless them. When I arrived at their door with a plate of Bagel French Toast with creamy PHILLY cheese and Chia Strawberry Jam and did I fail to mention sweet winter Strawberries?. Yes, yes I think I did. They rejoiced and invited me in.
A whole packet of bagels can be dispatched in no time. Bagels make almost impossibly good French toast because the outer edge is still chewy while the inner bagel is soft and custardy . The chia jam is made with fresh strawberries and takes a mere 5 minutes till done. Can you imagine it with clouds of creamy cheese. I prefer not to sweeten mine, I love the slightly salty taste, but that choice remains yours.
I’ve added toasted Pepita seeds. Its a crunch that I love and besides, they are green, doesn’t that mean they are in the vegetable family?. Good, tick another food group covered for brunch. Lastly and I have to add somewhat importantly I have added some Cocoa Bombs from the cereal aisle. Don’t underestimate the joy of encountering a sweet crunchy cocoa ball with your Strawberry bagel. It sure will put a smile on ALL eating faces.
I haven’t finished trying the PHILLY Spreadable Cream Cheese range yet. So I have a great Sweet Chilli inspired lunch recipe coming up soon. Eat this first and I’ll be back with lunch. 😉
Bagel French Toast with PHILLY and Strawberry Chia Jam
- 250 gram strawberries frozen is fine
- 80 ml water 1/4 cup
- 40 ml maple syrup 2 Tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
Bagel French Toast
- 4 each bagels cut in half
- 250 gram light PHILIDELPHIA spreadable
- 250 gram strawberries 250 gm/ 8 oz/ extra Punnet
- 4 whole eggs
- 250 ml milk 1 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract or seeds
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup or sugar
- 40 gram butter for cooking or oil if you prefer
- 30 gram toasted pepita seeds
- 25 gram Cocoa bombs cocoa rice cereal, 1/4 cup
- 20 ml maple syrup extra
- Put the strawberries, water and maple syrup into a bowl and microwave on high for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes or until they are just boiling and softened
- Crush the strawberries well with a fork and stir in the chia seeds. Cover and set aside.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk together with the vanilla and maple syrup. Line the baking tray with paper
- Heat the frypan on a low to medium heat and add 1/2 the butter and swirl around the frypan. Dip each bagel half into the egg mixture and let it soak up the custard before shaking and adding the bagel inside, flat side into the pan first. Continue with the amount that will fit into your frypan. Cook till set and starting to colour lightly before turning over. You may need to add more butter.
- When each bagel is cooked- the egg is set and the outside is lightly coloured, put it onto the tray and keep it in a warm place.
- Spread each bagel with a thick coating of PHILLY Spreadable then top with chia jam, strawberries and extras to taste