Microwave Lemon Curd
All that fussing over a double boiler….. and what do you know you can make lemon curd in a microwave with very little trouble at all.
Last week I made a large Peppa Pig Cake. The delicious white cake that was it’s base used 10 egg whites but no yolks. This left me with 8 after I used 2 to crumb some chicken schnitzels. What does a good non wasteful person do with 8 egg yolks?. Well they make Fig Jam and Lime Cordial’s recipe for microwave lemon curd, and what a beauty it is too.
It looks like it might be a little runny but once it is chilled it is THE best.
- 2 lemons zested
- 200 ml lemon juice (5-6 lemons)
- 80 gm butter unsalted butter
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 8 yolks
- Zest the lemons into a large microwave friendly bowl add the juice.
- Add the butter and caster (superfine) sugar.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes (1100 watts).Then take it out and give it a whisk to mix in the sugar and incorporate the butter. Cool slightly,
- Beat the yolks well then add them to the juice mix and whisk well. Put back into the microwave for 30 seconds and whisk repeating the 30 second blasts till the mixture is hot but not boiling. After the second or third whisking you should notice that the mixture is quite thick or starting to get thick and is hot. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve
- Now that it is ready pour into sterilized jars ( approx 500 gm ) and refridgerate