Baked Whole Chermoula Chicken. Pot to Table
I am on a roll now. There are so many ways you can cook a whole chicken in one simple pot. I’ve even decided that the whole concept is Pot to Table. Ha, I know its a scream but if you can say Farm to Table then I can say Pot to Table. And that is precisely what it is. Have you seen my previous attempts at this?. There’s Oven Baked Mexican Chicken, there is Oven Baked Coconut Chicken and then there’s the other spin off One Pot Tray baked Satay Chicken or the One Pot Chicken and Noodles or even African Chicken with Peanuts and Sweet Potato. There are loads of them. They are all good and all one pot cooking. Make them your own.
One Pot Barbeque Food too
The beautiful thing is that they can be done on a BBQ too. It has to be one of those BBQ’s with a lid so you get the oven effect. That means it doesn’t matter what the weather is at your place this chicken is all weather perfect. It lasts me a few days if I am here by myself. But if you happen to have a few people hanging around looking for food (and who doesn’t) then these one pot dishes are for you. Pot to Table for hands off cooking.
Next version of one pot chicken is coming up
Secret sneak peak as seen on Instagram. Honey Lemon One Pot Chicken. All chicken coked like this is juicy and succulent ( I love that word). Watch the video(s). It’s so easy.
- 1 whole Chicken approx 1.5 kg (3.3 lb)
- 2 cups chopped flat parsley leaves
- 2 cups of chopped coriander
- 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander seeds (fresh is best)
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- ½ cup / 125 ml of lemon juice (reserve the skins)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- (1 Tablespoon fresh chilli. optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 125 ml olive oil
- 3 tablespoons extra olive oil
- 1 onion rough chopped / 120 gm
- 1 capsicum rough chopped / 120 gm
- 1 cup of olives (I used green pitted)
- 400 gm / 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 300 ml / 10 fl oz stock or broth
- extra picked coriander
- Extra olives
- sliced chilli
- Put the parsley, coriander, garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander seed, tomato paste, lemon juice, salt and ½ cup of olive oil into a food processor and blltz till pureed.
- Dry the chicken well and then coat with the chermoula paste. ( This can be made to this point and left for a day)
- Heat the deep baking dish on top of the stove (or BBQ). Add the extra olive oil and then saute the onion and capsicum till just softening. Add the olives, the tomato and the stock and stir.
- Put the chicken into the pot and include any extra Chermoula paste left behind. (Pop the lemon halves- from juiced lemons) into the pot in the stock to give extra flavour
- Cover the chicken with foil for the first 30 minutes. Uncover and remove the lemons. Continue cooking for another 20 minutes or until the juices run clear at the leg.
- Serve with salad or with couscous or rice.
+Use this paste for Chicken pieces, Fish, slow baked Lamb or beef, lamb Chops or even Chermoula Vegetables. It goes with pretty much everything
+You can add Preserved Lemons if you like.
+Use black or green olives, pitted or unpitted.