Sticky Pork Scotch Fillet is so good with this special Raw Sweet and Sour. All you need to do is marinate the Pork and serve it with this stunning salad. Just add rice.
Odds are it isn’t summer where you are, but you could still BBQ this Sticky Pork Scotch Fillet because it will make your day. Well ok if it is too cold outside you can cook it on the stove top in a grill pan. I have teamed it with quite a tropical inspired salad that will change your mind about sweet and sour.
Here in Sydney the summer onslaught of heat has just begun with smokin’ hot 35 C days (95F). I sure don’t mind because I love summer, but it can get a little trying at dinner time, don’t you think?
Last week when I was on a little beach break there was a strange turn in the weather that saw a 35 C day turn into a cold and rainy one right in the middle of a family hike. To be honest there were a few clouds when we set out. I always carry a camera with me and I didn’t want to take any chances so I also took a large umbrella and asked my sister to take hers too. I kind of felt a little silly with my large brolly just up until the first raindrops started. Stranded on a headland during a down pour with 10 other people and two umbrellas is really quite funny, oh that is unless you have to shield your camera from the storm. It was cosy under those umbrellas. Lucky we like each other
We shuffled our way to a beach side shelter where we laughed a lot until the rain subsided. Then we went out to lunch in our wet clothes. It was fun. Mother nature can surprise us at times, and so can my brain.
This Pork Scotch Fillet is marinated. It is really nice marinated over night but if you are short of time give it as long as you’ve got. The raw sweet and sour is extra good at this time of year as the pineapple is so sweet, but if you find that your pineapple is a bit too sour then add an extra tablespoon of honey.
Sticky Pork Scotch Fillet & raw Sweet and Sour delicious BBQ food.
- 6 Pork scotch Fillet steaks ( 1 12 cm thick)
- 120 gm Palm sugar (you can use honey too- approx 2 heaped tablespoons but palm sugar tastes best)
- 125 ml Ketchup Manis Sweet Soy Sauce (1/2 cup)
- 80 ml fish sauce (1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground star anise (optional)
- 20 ml Lime juice (1 tablespoon) (1/2 lime)
- 40 gm honey (2 tablespoons)
- 40 ml rice wine vinegar 2 tablespoons
- 10 ml fish sauce (2 teaspoons)
- 500 gm Pineapple , cut into slices and cored (1 small)
- 1 small Spanish onion ( ½ cup) peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers / 2 cups diced skin on
- 1/ 2 red pepper diced (1 cup)
- 30 gm chopped pink Japanese pickled ginger ( 2 tablespoons)
- ½ bunch cleaned chopped coriander stems and all.
- Start the recipe by mixing the palm sugar, sweet soy, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and star anise into a non metallic bowl. Add 6 pork steaks cover and marinate.
- To make the Raw sweet and sour mix the honey, vinegar and fish sauce. Stir well to combine. Mince the pineapple to fine (chop till minced running the knife back and forward over it. Try to save the juice too). Add the pineapple and the finely sliced Spanish onion and let them sit while you chop the rest of the salad.
- Chop the cucumber into small dice. Chop the pickled ginger into small pieces mix with the cucumber and chopped coriander. Give the salad a very good mix and use straight away.
- You can use this salad with chicken or fish too.
- Remove the Pork from the marinade and pat them dry. Prepare the BBQ or a grill pan. Paint the pork with a little oil.
- I like the grill marks on my Pork so use the grill bars but you can use a plate too if you like. Start the Pork of on high. Leave on this side for 5 minutes before flipping and turning down a little. Grill on the second side for another 5 -6 minutes. The Pork will caramelise very quickly so watch it carefully. Put the pork onto a plate and cover with foil. Leave for 8 minutes.
- Meantime reduce the marinade in a pot on the BBQ or the stove. Cook down till the liquid turns to a thick syrup. This can be painted onto the steaks or toss the steaks in a bowl with this, before you serve.
- Make sure you cook the marinade before using it!
Like sweet and sour?. try this recipe too. One Pot Sweet Sour Lime Chicken
The rain and all of us under two umbrellas
Waiting it out