Make a Spanish Potato Chip Omelette in 5 minutes
This Spanish Potato Chip Omelette takes 5 minutes and is from a book called Miguel’s Tapas a la Maestre. It caught my eye because it’s made with Potato chips. You know crisps? I love them. That’s the quick bit, of the Spanish Potato Chip Omelette. It’s quite a clever idea.
I not only have a great recipe here for you….I also have some interesting news on food happening in shopping malls all around Australia. Stockland Malls ( who have 41 centres around Australia) have enlisted the help of Miguel Maestre to bring more interesting food into your life. It’s about cooking at home, buying interesting ingredients and trying something new. They have called the campaign The A to Z of Mmmm
So what’s it about?
Its about recipes and stories with an irresistible accent thrown in. You’ll see Miguel travel around Australia visiting producers and presenting recipes. You will be able to follow along by visiting their website. It’s an interesting concept the Stockland group want to promote and showcase their food retailers and Miguel is the ambassador of the program going behind the scenes to visit them in malls all over Australia, finding out their food secrets, what they like to cook and what they sell. It will be a must visit and a great place to see what is happening all around Australia. The first episode will go live on Feb 1st. Find it here
This chicken stuffed with chorizo and rolled in Jamon is one of the recipes he has created for the lunch we had at the launch last week. I love beans and this white bean salad tied the dish together with it’s creamy dressing. He served it with a smoked eggplant puree. How I love these flavours together. Gorgeous.
Why Miguel. What’s he got to do with Australia?
Miguel has quite an affiliation with being a “new ” Australian and understands the importance of making a mark on his new country by adding his expertise and creativity to the melting pot. Our lunch was the perfect mix of cuisines with a platter of thickly sliced Ceviche, an heirloom tomato and Burrato salad and huge platters of Jamon rolled chicken with a soft chorizo stuffing. He demonstrated making an easy beetroot flatbread and spicy lamb Kofta on the barbecue. This was served with tzatziki and ( in my opinion) the worlds nastiest green leaf- Kale. Despite the Kale, it was a barbecue dish I would like to have again.
Miguel spent a long time moving around the tables talking to each person about food, living in Sydney and cooking. He has a fascinating food history which I am sure he will share with everyone on his visits around Australia and during his live demonstrations.
This is Charlie Louie from Hotly Spiced with Miguel Maestre and I. At lunch last week.
So back to that interesting little recipe……….. Any idea that creates quick weeknight food with a combination of what you have in the cupboard and fresh ingredients in a real winner to me, and that’s what the whole idea of The A to Z of Mmmm is about.
- 10 eggs
- 100 gm potato crisps. Flavoured crisps are fine.
- 60 ml olive oil (3 tablespoons)
- 50 gm Manchego Cheese (Spanish) or you can use Gruyere or cheddar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 100 gm roasted capsicum, diced (1 small red capsicum roasted under the grill, peeled and diced)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 Tablespoon chopped basil leaves
- 20 ml Olive Oil ( extra,1 Tablespoon )
- ½ Tablespoon Balsamic (or sherry) vinegar
- Salt and pepper for the salsa
- You will need a non stick 20 cm/ 8 inch frypan and a grill or broiler to cook the top.
- Break all the eggs into a bowl and break up with a fork.
- Put the chips into another bowl and crush a bit. Add ¾ of the grated cheese to the chips along with a bit over half of the egg mixture and mix together. Stand while you heat the frypan.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and heat.
- Pour in the plain egg and spread over the bottom of the frypan letting it start to set. Add the remainder of the egg, potato mix and cheese and spread flat.
- Cook on medium for 5-8 minutes. Check that it isn't sticking and when the bottom is well cooked. Pop the frypan under the grill for 5- 10 minutes or just till set.
- Test the centre with a fork. ( try not to over cook or it will get dry)
- Turn out onto a plate
- To make the salsa mix the capsicum, herbs, olive oil, vinegar and seasoning.
- Serve with Salad