On the weekend I had a few people over for breakfast. It was a lazy Sunday morning and they offered to bring cereal so that no one had to cook. But I want to cook!!
I didn’t want them to think I had gone to any trouble, and really truly I didn’t. And you won’t either if you make this for brunch or breakfast for a crowd. You can make most of it ahead and let it sit till you have finished saying hello, having a coffee or glass of bubbly and then bingo, there it is.
It’s a fresh mixture of beans, tomatoes, avocados and a touch of Fountain hot chilli sauce with a sprinkling of nice salty feta. All of these ingredients were in my pantry and fridge. You can substitute if you don’t have some of them. I personally love black beans. Their texture is perfect for this but you could use kidney beans. If you want to leave out the bacon you can add and add chorizo instead or it could easily be made vegetarian.
Instead of sour cream I made cashew cream, this is my new love. It’s a good way to have a sour cream like cream that is full of protein. You can use this cashew cream for anything you use regular sour cream for. It’s nutty and creamy and very very good.
Serve this in a big pot in the middle and everyone can serve themselves. I love to hand around Warm tortilla bread or gorgeous natural corn chips.
- 1 Red Onion sliced finely
- 2 Tablespoon olive Oil
- 250 gm (8 oz) rindless bacon cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 can of drained washed black beans ( 400gm/ 14oz)
- 6 x 70 gm eggs
- 1 small bunch of coriander washed well
- ¼ cup of lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons Fountain Good Choice Hot Chilli Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon extra Olive oil
- 2 x cubed ripe avocados
- 1 x 200 gm punnet of cherry tomatoes cut in half
- ½ teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped coriander
- 100 gm crumbled Danish feta
- 250gm (8oz) raw cashews
- water to cover
- ¼ cup lemon juice- more for a more sour cream
- ½ teaspoon ground cummin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Put the two chopped avocados into a bowl, with the chopped tomatoes and ½ a bunch of chopped coriander. Grab a jug or large cup and mix the lime juice, chilli sauce, paprika, cumin and salt and olive oil and mix well.
- Mix the salsa well. For a salsa that is milder add less chilli sauce.
- Heat the largest non stick fry-pan you have. Add 2 Tablespoons oil and add the onion and bacon and sauté till the bacon is starting to colour. Add the cumin, paprika, tomato sauce and beans, salt and 2 Tablespoons chopped coriander stems and roots. .
- Let simmer for 5-10 minutes. ( You can leave the beans at this point and come back) or
- Make 6 spaces in the pan and break the eggs into each space. Turn the pan onto medium low. Crumble over the feta. A lid will cook the eggs more evenly. They will take about 5-8 minutes till just white and the yolks still runny.
- Spoon over the salsa between the eggs and serve with sour cream and extra lemon or make the delicious cashew cream instead.
- Cover the nuts in water and leave to soak overnight. Drain all but ¾ cup of the water ( and reserve). Put the nuts into a blender with the lemon , cumin and a bit of salt. Blend till smooth adding a little bit of water at a time till you have a smooth paste. Scrap into a container and refrigerate for later.
Just in case you are wondering what the black beans I used look like. Here they are.