This is the perfect salad to serve warm. There is nothing better than soft sweet Pumpkin paired with Haloumi
Winter and salad can go hand in hand. So does this warm Pumpkin and Haloumi Salad
This salad is so simple. its taste and beauty lie in its very few ingredients. serve it with pretty much anything and it will cosy up and make a great partner. The spritely salad dressing brings it together.
I don’t like a fiercely chilled salad so this salad eaten warm from cooking is really my idea of heaven. Plus, add some haloumi to ANYTHING, and you have a party.
So make it for eating straight away. Cooked haloumi really needs to be eaten warm. Its is great with a chicken schnitzel or a steak or any slow cooked meat. If it happens to be Meatless Monday then have it with an eggplant steak or some cauliflower couscous.
- 1 kg pumpkin, peeled and large diced ( tablespoon size)
- 60 ml olive oil (1/4 cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- a good grind of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 100 gm pepita seeds ( or about 1 cup)
- ¼ very finely sliced preserved lemon
- 250 gm haloumi cheese thick sliced 1 x packet
- 1 packed cup of mixed herbs ( parsley, chives, coriander or basil) a combination of these or just one or two
- 60 ml olive oil (1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons )
- ½ teaspoon white sugar or honey
- 30 ml white or red wine vinegar or white balsamic (1½ tablespoons)
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced preserved lemon
- up to ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/380F
- Toss the pumpkin in a bowl with the salt & pepper and the olive oil. Spread onto a paper lined heavy baking tray in a single layer ( You might have to cook the pumpkin in batches or it will stew). Bake at 190/375 for 15-20 minutes or until soft and coloured
- Meantime either spread the pepita seeds on to a tray and roast till colouring or put the seeds into a frypan over a low to medium heat and toss till lightly coloured and glossy. Set aside to cool
- Put all of the dressing ingredients into a jar and shake. Taste to test for salt or sweetness. The dressing should be a good balance between the sharpness of the vinegar and the fruitiness of the olive oil and seasoned well
- Slice the haloumi thickly and paint with oil. Cook in a a frypan or grill plate till just coloured. set aside on a plate.
- When the pumpkin is tender, remove from the oven and cool slightly. Toss ½ the seeds, herbs and cheese with half the dressing the very gently mix with the pumpkin. Put onto a plate or platter and sprinkle with the remaining dressing, seeds and some black pepper.
- Serve with coriander leaves or baby coriander sprouts