I had an Italian ice cream maker in my life for a few years. Yes, you could have icecream when ever you wanted provided you put a little effort and attention in ice cream could be yours. But that ice cream maker started to be very troublesome and I had to stand holding his churning parts till he was finished and I just got the jack of it.
I took him and left him on the footpath to be picked up by the garbage truck. I know, it did seem a bit wasteful but I just didn’t have the time any more. The paddle and the motor where strong but the bowl just unclipped each time the paddle did a turn and it was pathetic. So I have since worked out other ways to make ice creams if I want them. A simple semi freddo goes a long way and can be made in lots of flavours. They can be slightly sweeter than ice cream or sorbet but they are very handy. There is a simple recipe here and here. Or if you prefer, the most simple of simple icecreams made with condensed milk and cream. I know it sounds sweet but it isn’t . It can be made into so many things such as ice cream cakes and individual serve creations. Heres a recipe for making ice cream cake without a machine here and caramel icecream cake here
Easy Raspberry Coconut Ice Cream
Did I hear you asking about this Raspberry ice above?. Well I am so glad you did because it’s a revelation. I won’t tell you that I ate the whole recipes worth of the one above because I convinced myself it was good for me. It really does take a swift 5 minutes, oh go on it takes longer if you are going to clean up, but you could even make this at the very last minute and serve it with a chocolate dessert. It really is the ultimate soft serve. A blender produces the best results because it pulverizes the tiny seeds, but you could make it with a processor or hand held blender. AND if it is important in your world this has no dairy or eggs….go figure.
- 300 gm frozen raspberries (or another fruit)
- 250 ml Coconut Cream Ayam or Kara) chilled
- 60 ml honey (3 Tablespoons)( more or less to taste or you can use agave or maple syrup)
- Put the coconut cream and raspberries into the blender and blitz till smooth.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of honey into the mixture and blitz again. Taste for sweetness, adding more honey if you like. I find 3 Tablespoon to be enough
- Eat immediately with roasted crushed nuts or a chocolate dessert.
- You can put into the freezer for several hours if you want to make it ahead.
- Note: It will freeze quite solid if left overnight