Easy Date Custard Tart with a cookie crust
Date Custard Tart with Cookie Crust
This is an easy Date Custard Tart with a cookie crust because I know there are people out there that do not like making pastry. Yep, I know that, but it doesn’t make me loving pastry making any less. I find it hard to believe but I am willing to provide a recipe that by-passes the pastry bit. Just because I love you. This is based on the iconic date tart by Lorraine Godsmark
It is THE most luxurious, creamy delicious tart you could ever imagine. There is a good reason that it has been a top seller for both Lorraine and Rockpool Restaurant in Sydney for the past 20 years. It really will make you weak at the knees. Cook it gently and take it out of the oven before it sets firm. This can be made with gluten free rice cookies too.
- 200 gm biscuits plain graham crackers or maries or rice cookies (gluten free biscuits)
- 150 gm butter melted
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 10 fresh dates ½'d and de seeded
- 500 full fat thick cream (I used thickened cream. 2 cups0
- 7 egg yolks, large
- 40 gm caster sugar (2 Tablespoons)
- fresh grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180 / 350 F). Prepare an 8 inch or 20 cm shallow loose bottomed cake tin
- Break up the biscuits in a food processor till very fine. Add the brown sugar and the melted butter. Pulse till combined.
- Push the crumbs into the tin making sure there are no gaps or splits where the custard can leak through. Push to the top of the tin.
- Bake the case at 180 C or ( 350 F) for 10 - 15 minutes till just starting to colour. Cool a little while making the custard
- Put the yolks, sugar,vanilla and cream into a processor and combine well. ( or whisk together)
- Line the base with cut dates cut side down in a circle around the outside and then continue till the case is full of them. Put the cake tin on a tray
- Pour the cream mixture into the tart case and grate over fresh nutmeg. Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until only just set. It will still be wobbly. Cool overnight in the fridge or just for a little while to firm
If you like My Kitchen Stories please share……. with someone else.