I love Farro. Its also known as spelt and is a strain of wheat that is digested more easily than others. You could substitute Barley in this recipe but Farro is such a lovely flavour.
This salad was perfect with a slow roast lamb. The leg was smothered in spices and Harrissa and roasted for 3 hours.
- 200 gm Farro, cooked (1 cup )
- 100 gm carrot, grated (1/2 cup)
- 1 diced tomato, seeds and all
- ½ bunch of chives
- ½ cup of parsley
- ½ cup of mint
- 1 stalk of celery
- 400 gm tomatoes, peeled canned
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 20 ml Balsamic vinegar, (caramelized or a good aged one)
- 40 ml olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- 20 ml lemon juice (1 tblsp)
- salt and pepper
- Mix the farro, carrot, herbs, celery, tomato and celery
- Put the can of tomatoes in a blender or processor with the garlic, balsamic, juice and salt and pepper. Blend till smooth.
- Stir enough of the dressing through the farro salad to coat well. You wont need it all. We used the rest to serve with quail. (but that's another story) .
- Taste, and add more salt or pepper if needed.