Baked Ricotta with Roasted Mushrooms, Tomato and Basil.
This is simple and it is vegetarian. It can be gluten free if you omit the Phyllo. It can be an entrée or a canape if make it in a tiny mould. I wrap the ricotta ( minus the mushrooms ) in phyllo and make a pie out of it , which as you can imagine, works a treat for Skater the unfood fussed teenager. It’s great with some crunchy pancetta or bacon or slices of Chorizo or even finely sliced prosciutto. You can make this into lots of different dishes and it’s quick. Interested?
You can bake ricotta just as it is with the addition of salt and pepper and a swirl of olive oil before popping into the oven, or you can get fancy and add feta or parmesan…or both. Dollop it with a spoon of pesto or sweet chilli before baking. it makes great party food.
- 500 gm (1lb)Fresh Ricotta ( fresh from the deli or a basket)
- 50 ml thickened/ heavy cream (or approx 2 Tablespoons / 1.70 oz))
- 50 gm creamy Danish Feta ( 1.76 oz / 2 Tablespoons)
- 50 gm Parmesan Cheese grated ( 1.76 oz or 3 tablespoons)
- 50 ml ( 1.70 oz /2 Tablespoons) olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 packet fine Phyllo sheets ( 375 gm/ 13.22 oz)
- 50 gm melted butter ( 1.76 oz / 2 tabelspoons)
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil ( 2.5oz)
- 1 can diced tomato (400gm / 14.10oz)
- ½ bunch of basil
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large Field Mushrooms / Portabello
- ¼ cup of olive oil / 60 ml / 2.11 oz)
- 4 Tablespoons balsamic glaze ( thick sweet balsamic sauce) ( 2.5oz)
- Line the moulds you want to use by covering the bottom neatly with baking paper and grease the moulds
- Combine all the ingredients for the ricotta and stir well. ( You can do this in the food processor.) Push into the moulds firmly .
- Bake 180 C ( 350 F) for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden on top (this can get dry dont over bake)
- Brush about 3 leaves of phyllo with butter and pile back together folding over to make about about 6 layers thick
- Cut into circles the size of your ricotta mould.
- Place on baking paper and bake till golden . They will separate and become flaky, just keep them in piles
- Put the olive oil in a small sauce pan. Add the garlic and tomatoes and simmer on low till fragrant but not too reduced. So simmer them on low for 10 minutes .
- Add roughly chopped torn or chopped basil and salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the mushrooms in oil and salt and pepper and balsamic glaze . Roast till soft ( 180/350)- approximately 15 minutes
- To serve: Put some sauce on the plate and top with ricotta, Phyllo, mushroom and extra basil and Parmesan curls ( use a vegetable peeler)