I love rice, I try not to eat too much of it at home in Australia….where I am carb conscious …. but there are certain places in the world that you would not dream of skipping it.
Italy for example……..or when in Asia it just feels right , breakfast lunch and dinner.
There were times last year that I prayed I could be eating rice. I was in a Cambodian jungle. This is a place that is full of bugs, it’s hot and the humidity is almost 100% . You feel tired just putting one foot in front of the other. While you are swatting mosquitoes and sweating , you can only dream of sitting in the shade and eating some fuffy rice.
I visited a sanctuary for Elephants here…. these elephants have mostly been saved from a life of being beaten by their owners who use them for farming and carrying heavy objects. ( more on this another time) Elephants eat alot, and so wander the forest uprooting trees and foraging for juicy bits of grass and leaves. As a morning treat they are offered Banana palms which need to be hacked into large chunks and carried down a long slope towards the river. I did say banana palms, the whole tree, yes. Going down a slope generally means you have to go back up etc. Oh yes……………………breakfast and lunch is important for humans that have been feeding elephants!
Elephant style Banana Pretzels.
There were days that we joked about the lunch hooter going off………PRAYED for the lunch hooter.
This is Soki, smiling lovely Cambodian Cook who seemed to understand our hunger!
I came up with this recipe for left over rice chocolate cakes ( not that there was any leftover rice at our meals in Cambodia…….. ) at home when you are less starved, there is sometimes left over rice. Jasmine or long grain is best as it is wetter (than basmati)
Give these a try…..I included a layer of salted caramel that you can get a recipe for here (makes a takeaway container, be prepared to use it on other things).
Chocolate Leftover Rice Cake
- 23 cm ( 10") cake tin and bake at 180(350 F) deg for 15-20 minutes.
- 250 gm cooked rice ( nice and moist ) (8.8 ozs)
- 250 gm caster sugar (8.8 ozs)
- 1 Tablespoon golden syrup
- 6 eggs
- 200 gm almond meal (7 ozs)
- 50 gm cocoa (1.75 ozs)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 300 gm (10.5 oz) dark chocolate
- 1 cup of heavy or thickened cream
- Put the rice and sugar into the food processor and buzz till smooth.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, almond meal, cocoa powder and baking powder .
- Puree till combined.
- Pour into cupcake papers ¾ full, or into a 23 cm ( 10") cake tin and bake at 180(350 F) deg for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the cream in a jug or a sauce pan till warm but not boiling. Take off the heat and add the chocolate . Stir till melted. Cool . Beat in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Pipe or spread onto the cakes.
- I spread a layer of salted caramel on the cake before ganaching it.
More than an elephants tale ………………..Chocolate Left over Rice Cake, Gluten Free
Visit : Elephant Valley Project