Frozen Chocolate Mousse Hearts, Rose Syrup and Candied Pistachios is the ultimate in love desserts, if appropriate……..
This could be a story of love and devotion to my Valentine, but it’s not. It was decided a long time ago that I would just share my friends husbands because it is conceivably possible that I would just kill one of my own.
This sharing works quite well because I do not want a husband full time, but if the mood takes me, I head off to one of my friends houses to give their husbands a nice big cake, some biscuits ice cream or brownies. It is for the best, as with the amount of baking I do, a heart attack would be on the cards for anyone that lives with me.
Please don’t worry that Skater ( teenager) lives with me. He once told me, when he was very little, he wished for once he didn’t have to go to bed ‘with that smell in the house’. That smell was trays of brownies baking away, ready to be sold to cafes ( in order to be able to buy him all the toy cars he was so attached to!) Give this mousse a try, it is one of the things that I make that even Skater will eat. Keep a loaf in the freezer ready to be sliced at will.
- 250gm/ 8oz dark Chocolate (up to 70%) 8 ozs
- 100gm/ ¼ cup caster (granulated) sugar approx
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 yolks
- 300ml / 10.14oz thickened cream (if not available heavy whipping cream)
- 2 Tablespoons of Rose water
- 1 cup pistachios (unsalted and shelled, if you cant find these use another nut)
- ½ cup of raw or demerera sugar
- 1 teaspoon of egg white
- ¼ cup (80 ml) Rose water
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of caster ( granulated ) sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 150 gm dark chocolate,
- Store bought Turkish Delight cut into cubes .
- Melt the chocolate gently in a bowl over a double boiler ( or for 1-1/2 minutes in a microwave till just melted. Set aside without letting it get cold
- Meanwhile beat the cream till soft and firm and set aside in the fridge).
- In a clean bowl of a mixer, add the eggs, sugar and rose water and beat till very white and light and moussey. ( it will almost look like whipped cream). Now this is the important bit. Mix it in this order.............
- Put ¼ of the egg mix into the still warm chocolate and fold gently but rapidly till incorporated. Add half of the rest of the egg mix folding through, and then the remainder and fold through, gently but firmly until the mouse looks like a nice smooth dark mixture.
- Now for the cream . Add ¼ of the cream to the chocolate mixing straight away,(folding lightly and quickly why?, because the cream is cold and the mousse is blood temp). When the first cream is mixed in, put ½ of the remainder and repeat, following with the last bit, all the while folding. Finished.!
- Spoon into your mould. Wrap or cover and freeze, overnight. This mouse can be eaten just chilled if you like
- Put the nuts into a bowl. Mix the egg white till just broken up, don't beat. Mix the whites into the nuts, making sure that all the nuts are damp (if you need you can add a bit more egg white- but be sparing)
- Sprinkle the sugar over the nuts and toss to coat. Put onto a paper lined baking tray and roast for 10 minutes at 170 deg or until golden. Cool
- Put the water, rose water sugar and lemon into a small saucepan and bring to the boil
- Simmer for a couple of moments or until reduced by about a ⅓. Pour into a container and cool
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a double boiler or in the microwave for 1 minute Spread onto a paper lined baking sheet spreading with a palette knife. Don't spread too thin, as when you cut shapes it will break when you lift it. When nearly dry cut shapes with your heart or other cutter and then let it dry completely, before separating from the bits. Leave on a lined tray or container in the fridge.
- Unmould your individual mousses by running a warm cloth around the outside of your mould, then a small pointed knife to loosen and turn out onto a plate. Or slice from a loaf tin.
- Decorate with nuts, syrup, chocolate and Turkish delight.
- Eat this mousse frozen or set from the fridge. Can be kept for weeks in the freezer. Just hack a bit off every tine you need a chocolate fix
Frozen Chocolate Mousse Hearts an be made with milk chocolate or white chocolate……. make layers!
Happy Valentines Day- if appropriate!