People always ask me for ideas on what they can serve for afternoon tea or a dessert when guests are stopping by.
Does this cake look like something you might want to consider.?
Believe it or not there are practically no ingredients in this cake, yet it tastes moist and chocolately and can be dressed in any way you like. Would you prefer Mars bars and caramel…. Strawberries and cream……white chocolate and pistachios? Put anything on it.
I was given the recipe for this cake by my niece , Kelly. She has an alternate reason for making it, you see she has trouble digesting eggs and it has no eggs in it. Over time she has collected a number of interesting recipes that I hope to steal.
Reasons to make this cake:
- It is easy
- It has no butter or eggs in it, so you can make it when you havent done the shopping!
- It keeps for a long time without drying out
- You can make it the day ( or two or three) before you need it
- Dress it up with anything to hand
I have found it works best as a bundt cake. Other versions have not stayed as moist. This is because of the lack of fat. Do some experiments yourself
Wanna make it? Here’s how…..
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder (Dutch/dark)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar (or any vinegar)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 100ml of ( thickened )cream
- 50 -60 gm dark chocolate (chopped)
- Put the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl with the cocoa powder. Add the water, vanilla, oil and vinegar. Mix until a smooth batter is formed
- Thats it!
- Bake gently so that a hard crust is not formed . If your oven is very hot , cook it on 160 deg
- Warm 100ml of ( thickened )cream till hot but not boiling. remove from the heat and stir in 50 -60 gm dark chocolate (chopped) and stir till all the choclate has melted
- If you cant get thickened cream use approx 50ml pouring cream