I ate this Ocean trout broken up through salad, I stood at the kitchen bench and sliced glistening slivers straight from the side, I even cut some into tiny squares and tossed it into a broth with noodles. After all these delightful fish meals I had one beautiful piece left.
This Petuna Trout has the skin on. This means it stays firm and it can be sliced into whatever size or shape you want.
The sweet salty flavour of this trout is the perfect base for an Asian inspired salad. This one contains grilled pineapple, fennel and chilli. The whole recipe takes approximately 10 minutes.
- 2 pieces of Ocean Trout
- 1 small lebanese cucumber cut into ribbons
- 1 small bulb fennel (or 1/2 a large one)
- 1 small red onion , finely diced
- 1 red chilli sliced
- 2 slices of fresh pineapple
- Corriander (1/4 bunch)
- 100ml lemon (or lime) Juice
- 30gms of caster or palm sugar
- 2 Tblspoons fish sauce
- 1 piece of garlic , roughly chopped
- Mix the sugar with a teaspoon of hot water to start it dissolving. Add lemon juice, fish sauce and garlic. Stir to dissolve and taste. Add more sugar or fish sauce if required
- Grill the pineapple till golden and caramelised ( BBQ is good) in a very hot pan. Cut into cubes
- Mix corriander sprigs, diced onion, pineapple , chilli and shaved fennel. Strain dressing and pour over salad.
- Put the cucumber ribbons on the plate.
- Finally. Cut the Ocean Trout from the skin. Heat a frypan until very hot. Sear the Trout on both sides, until just coloured . Place the fish on the cucmber.
- For crackling, add a little more oil to the frypan and making sure it is very hot. Drop the skin into the pan and cook until it curls up and turns golden. Drain on paper.
- Put a small amount of salad onto each plate along with some dressing and a piece of crackling
Don’t cook the pineapple, just sear or BBQ it quickly. This produces a lovely sweet and sour juice that makes thew dressing very delicious.Use corriander root ( chopped ) in the dressing for more flavour
Use any salad ingredients you like including chinese cabbage, red capsicum, tomato, or Green Papaya.
What is your favourite food?