Honey, Nut Muesli slice full of nuts and seeds and fruit.
Once I used to make this Honey, Nut Muesli Slice about 10 times a week. I made it for shops, and all the time just because people at work needed it …. often. I packaged it up and delivered it to cafes in the station wagon. I can have this whipped up and in the tin ready to bake in about 10 minutes if necessary. I am sure once that you have made it a few times you will be an old hat at it too.
There is sugar and butter in here along with the honey but it is a dose of fibre seeds and nuts. In fact it would make a much better breakfast than most cereals. You can be sure it has no palm oil or any other filler that might not be good for you. I would much rather eat this delicious easy Muesli slice than any thing you can buy from a shop and so will your friends and family. Give it a try.
- You will need to set the oven to 170 C or 340 F. This fits into a 18 cm x 25 cm square tin / 7 X 10 Inch tin. Pick a smaller rather than bigger tin or the slice will be too thin. Line it with baking paper. All cups in this recipe are Australian sizes
- 3 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup of poppyseeds
- ¼ cup of sesame seeds ( or linseeds)
- ½ cup of pepitas
- ½ cup of almond meal
- 1 cup of dried fruit ( chopped dates, dried papaya,sultanas, raisins or apricots)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 175 gm (just under 6.5 oz) butter ( chopped)
- 150 gm (just under 5.5 oz) honey
- 1 cup demarera or raw sugar
- Mix the first 8 ingredients together in a bowl combining well.
- Put the butter, sugar and honey into a saucepan and heat gently until completely melted. Let this boil for 1 minute.
- Pour the sugar onto the oat mixture, stirring with a spoon or spatula and mix until all of the dry ingredients are coated.
- Pour into the tray and spread out, pressing down with damp figertips
- Put into the oven and bake until golden approximately 30 minutes. Cool completely, before removing from the tray. The edges will be a bit browner than the middle.
- Cool completely then cut into fingers
- Dont over colour the sugar mix, by boiling too long. Work quickly to stir the sugar into the oats , or the mixture will start to set. The slice is often easiest to cut when it has been refrigerated
- You can use any kinds of seeds or fruits in the approximate amounts above .
You can use any kinds of seeds or fruits in the approximate amounts above .